Rhubarb Tarts


These are based on this recipe, which I found because my sister made them and posted about that on her blog.

However, I did adjust the recipe a fair amount because I didn't have all of the correct ingredients. For example, I simply cooked my 1 1/2 pounds of rhubarb with 1/2 cup of white sugar. And I used white whole wheat flour in place of the corn flour, milk instead of heavy cream, and one egg instead of two egg yolks (okay, that isn't because I didn't have two eggs, but because I was lazy and didn't want to separate the eggs...)

Additionally, I shaped the tarts before I put the rhubarb into them. I tried putting the rhubarb on the dough and then folding it up around the edges, but that was kind of difficult with the rhubarb trying to leak out all the sides while I shaped the dough... So instead, I made a little tart shape and then filled it with cooked rhubarb like so:


At this point, you put them in the freezer for a while and then bake them straight out of the freezer. They were nicely shaped when I took them out of the freezer and my pre-folded tart shells seemed to have worked very well...until I took them out of the oven.


Oh, well, what can you do? As far as I can tell, it didn't affect the way they tasted.

Comments