Homemade Fettuccine

Making homemade pasta has been on my list of things to do for the past year or so. Finally, I decided that a day I wasn't working and had lots of eggs was the day to attempt it.

I used the recipe out of the Joy of Cooking for whole wheat pasta.
1 c. white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 c. flour
5 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. olive oil

It took adding about 1/2 cup of water to make the dough stick together. Honestly, I was worried when I added the water and kneaded it because it seemed very sticky and not smooth at all. Letting the dough sit for half an hour, however, was amazing because it was the perfect consistency by the time I was ready to roll it out.

Anthony gave me the creative idea of hanging the pieces to dry on our clothes drying rack. It worked fabulously and looked pretty cool in our kitchen.



We prepared some that night with pesto:


And then a topping of spinach, tomatoes, and tofu:


This one meal obviously was only a small portion of the extreme quantity of pasta that I made. Next time - if there is a next time - I think I will make half or maybe less than that since you aren't supposed to store it for too long. Anthony was rather amused but at the same time slightly appalled as I kept bringing out more dough and cutting so many pieces of fettuccine.

So anyway, I dried the leftover part thoroughly (like for five hours) and then put it in a ziploc bag for three days. When I cooked it at that point, it was still dry and just as good. But after all that work, I didn't want to risk storing it longer and having it become moldy or something terrible like that.

Comments

Post a Comment