Polenta

Polenta has about the least amount of ingredients imaginable, but you can make cooking it more complicated if you want :)
6 c. water
2 c. cornmeal
2 tsp. salt

Slowly pour the water over the cornmeal in a saucepan, stirring until you get lump-free paste. Add the salt and cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 20-30 min. This requires patience; I held a book in one hand and stirred with the other. It's done when the whole thing pulls away from the sides of the pan and a spoon can stand up in the middle. By the end, it was rather a pain to keep stirring, but I had a little friend come visit and help me a bit with the stirring.

When the polenta is done, you could eat it with a sauce over it just like that, but I spread it out on a cutting board, smoothed it out to about 1/2 inch thickness, and let it cool for half an hour. Then, I sliced it into squares, put it in a glass baking dish and sprinkled 3 Tbs. of melted butter and some Parmesan cheese over it and baked it at 450F for 20 minutes.


For a sauce, I cooked up a package of mushrooms, a can of diced tomatoes, and some vegetable bullion. Just so you're prepared, it makes for a pretty filling meal.

Comments