Dad's Homemade Tortillas

When I was growing up, I loved it when we had Mexican food (which was quite often) and my dad would make homemade tortillas.  He hasn't done that recently, so I decided to keep up the family tradition.  Personally I think homemade tortillas are much better than store-bought, so if I have the time, I will definitely make them myself.


Dad’s Tortillas
2 c. flower (I usually use half white and half whole wheat)
1 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. shortening
3/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt

The dough needs to be wet enough when you mix it together that there aren't any dry bits falling off.  Break the dough into 8-10 pieces.  Roll each one out - thinner is better - with lots of flour to keep them from sticking to the counter.   Put the rolled out tortilla in a hot pan.  Once you start to see little
bubbles forming, turn it over.  Only the bubble parts should brown.  It only takes a minute or so on each side.  Wrap the finished tortillas in a towel to keep them soft.

Comments