Bruchetta

Generally, when we make bruchetta, it involves chopping up fresh tomatoes, lots of fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella cheese.  However, when we returned from vacation, I did not have any of these things on hand.  Yet for whatever reason, I decided to make bruchetta anyway.  I froze immense quantities of tomatoes from my garden last summer (green zebra tomatoes - this is why the tomatoes in the picture are not red), so I have been trying to use them in any way possible so they are gone before tomatoes start appearing in the garden again.  And thus I discovered that frozen tomatoes make pretty good bruchetta. 

In this case, I had frozen the tomatoes in halves, so I partially thawed them, then froze my fingers chopping the still icy tomatoes into small cubes.  After they fully thawed, I drained off the liquid and added cubes of string cheese (the only cheese I had on hand).  I also added in thinly sliced fresh chard (to give the impression of fresh basil) and about a tablespoon of dried basil, drizzled in a tablespoon of olive oil and mixed it all up.  And it still tasted good and looked pretty!

Comments