Sort of Like S'mores


This fall, we helped Anthony's parents build a fire pit in their backyard.  Once it was done and we started having bonfires, we had to get the fixings for making S'mores.  But although it is only slightly more wintery, bonfires are done for the season and there were leftover large marshmallows in the cupboard.  So when I saw this recipe, I thought I ought to try it out.


If I had known that Anthony wasn't that interested in it, I would have used jam like the recipe says, instead of chocolate, but this was good anyway.  Overall, I followed the list of ingredients in the recipe, but changed the directions.  I used a greased and floured 9"x9" pan, pressed in the cookie dough, as directed, then baked it for 20 minutes.  Then, I sprinkled about a cup of semisweet chocolate chips on top of the dough and put it back in the oven for 4 more minutes.  Upon taking it out of the oven to cool, I spread the now melted chocolate over the cookie.  I didn't take the cookie out and put it on a different pan because I don't like doing dishes and it still turned out just fine.


In her instructions, Joy the Baker says that her broiler burned the marshmallows in seconds.  Not so here.  I had to hold the pan right under the top of the oven and move it around for about a minute before they even started to get browned.  So just keep in mind that your oven may not be the same as other peoples' ovens.


And there you have it: s'mores made in the winter in your oven.  The cookies are even better than graham crackers too!

Comments

Post a Comment