Kale Salad

Ever since discovering kale in college, I have always loved it.  But with the exception of including it in smoothies, I have only ever eaten kale cooked, not raw.


This month, however, I decided to try out kale salad.  I have seen a variety of options out there, but the one I decided to try is a recipe from Joy the Baker that looked incredible (note that her pictures look much prettier than mine!)  Although I hoped it would taste as good as it looked, I was a bit uncertain - a whole salad of raw kale?  Thankfully, it turned out to be excellent, especially considering that I made it not just for myself but also for my parents. 

I followed the recipe for the dressing that is on her blog, but only topped the salad with feta cheese and chopped cashews.  Since I'm not a big fan of raw radishes (outside of radish sandwiches), I chose to leave them out.  I also put dried cherries on the side for the sake of those who don't like fruit (...Anthony).  However, after discovering, through my sister, that pomegranates are in season now, I put those out as another option for topping.


Personally, I liked the pomegranates on top better than the dried cherries.  Previously, I had no idea that you could eat the whole seeds, including the crunchy part in the middle.  Now that I know you can, pomegranates are much more enjoyable to eat (better than chewing on the seeds to get the juice out and then spitting out the middle...)


Anyway, I could eat this salad for a whole meal.  And the little bit of leftovers was just as good the next day!

Comments

  1. This salad was really good! I'm copying it so that I can make it again soon. Thanks for all the fun cooking adventures while you were staying here with us. It was fun trying new (and old) recipes with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment