Pecan Pie Bars


In college, I worked for A Christian Ministry in the National Parks (ACMNP) in Estes Park, CO.  One of the people who met with and encouraged those of us in ACMNP made the most wonderful pecan pie.  He gave me the recipe and I have enjoyed making it ever since.  It is, however, a lot of filling for an 8" pie pan.  I usually make two pies, but this time, I tried making the pie as bars in a 9" square pan and it still turned out quite well. 


Dan's Pecan Pie:
(makes two pies or one 9" pan of bars)

8 Tbs. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. corn syrup
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 to 1.5 c. pecans, chopped or whole

Use your favorite pie crust recipe and press it into the bottom of the pan.
Put pecans on top of the pie crust.  Cream butter and sugar, then add the remaining ingredients.  Mix well, then pour over the pecans.  Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes.  It is done when the middle wiggles kind of like jelly.

Comments