Cashew Thumbprint Cookies

In my childhood, spring was the time when my mom made thumbprint cookies with pastel-colored frosting in the middle. When I found this recipe for cashew thumbprint cookies, I wanted to try them and I saved them for spring, to fit with tradition.


I adapted this recipe from Enlightened Cooking because I'm not a huge fan of cardamom and I didn't have any lime zest. So I basically just simplified it.

Cookies:
1/2 c. salted cashews
1/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. coconut oil
1.5 c. white whole wheat flour
1/2 c. sugar
Chop the cashews and brown sugar in a food processor until they are very finely ground. Add the coconut oil and blend until the mixture is very smooth. Finally, add the flour and blend until dough forms. It will be very soft.

Form the dough into 1" balls and roll them in the 1/2 c. of sugar to coat them. Use your thumb to make a small depression in the middle of each cookie. Put them on a silicone mat on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Bake at 325F for 18-22 minutes.

In the meantime, make the filling:
6 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/4 c. coconut oil
2 Tbsp. lime juice

Put chocolate and coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave on medium power for 1 to 2 minutes; stir after the first minute, then stop and stir every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Whisk in lime juice. Fill the depression of each cookie with chocolate mixture.

They were actually really good. The filling is tasty enough to eat plain!

Comments