Asparagus Salad

My dad makes the best asparagus salad. Now I live in the land where the word "salad" is used to refer to things like jello mixed with marshmallows or pieces of snickers bars and apples mixed together with something like kool whip... I find this kind of strange because I tend to think of a salad as requiring lettuce or at least being made of only fruit. Nevertheless, my family was pretty much always served jello salad or snickers salad when we visited my great aunt in eastern South Dakota while I was growing up, so at least I have heard of unusual concoctions being called salads :) This asparagus salad, however, is made of a vegetable, so I think salad is a proper name for it.


Cut off the hard ends of a bunch of asparagus. Steam the asparagus until tender when poked with a fork, then cut it into about 1" long pieces (or cut into pieces before steaming).

For one bunch of steamed asparagus, mix in:
2 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. chopped garlic

You can eat it warm or cold. Just stir it to mix around the sauce before you serve it.

As usual, we enjoyed this salad as part of our traditional Easter meal. Same food as last year:


Comments