Vegan Rhubarb Custard Pie


Remember my grandma's amazing one-crust custard rhubarb pie? Well, this is it, but in vegan form! I have no local farmer to buy eggs from during the winter, so I have no eggs, but I have frozen rhubarb from the spring. I wanted this pie again, so I thought I'd give it a shot with 1/4 cup of pureed silken tofu in place of each egg. Amazingly, it turned out tasting no different than the egg version! Now, I was impatient to eat some when it came out of the oven, so I didn't let it set, and this happened:


However, by the next day, pieces came out nicely set, with no such issues.

Comments

  1. Wow! Are you willing to share the recipe? My mom made rhubarb custard pie when I was a kid, but I am eager to make a vegan version :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it's this recipe: https://sarasglobalcooking.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-rhubarb-pie-ever.html but with 1/4 cup of pureed silken tofu in place of each egg

      Delete

Post a Comment