Thanksgiving Dinner

This year we are far from our families for Thanksgiving, but that doesn't mean no celebration! Instead we had over two different neighbors for a special meal.

We are so thankful for all of the unexpected things God has done in our lives, bringing us to Minnesota and giving us lots of interesting learning experiences.

Instead of turkey, we had our last frozen chicken that we bought from a local farmer this summer.


The cranberry salad was also special - it included cranberries that my parents bought from a cranberry bog on their way out to visit this month!


Cranberry Salad
1 (12oz) bag cranberries (I used a full quart-sized Ziploc bag)
1 or 2 oranges
3/4 c. sugar
2 stalks celery
1/2 c. walnuts

Chop cranberries in food processor. Peel and chop oranges. Add them and sugar to the cranberries and refrigerate. Before serving, add chopped celery and walnuts.

Additionally, the pumpkin pie was made without eggs and yet tasted like normal pumpkin pie. I used 1/4 cup pureed silken tofu in place of each egg. This seems to have made it take longer for the pie to bake, but it turned out fine. (I also forgot to tell my guests about this secret ingredient - I don't think they noticed).


My mom's pumpkin pie
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup of pureed silken tofu)
2 c. fresh, cooked pumpkin, pureed (or a 16oz can - but real pumpkin is much better!)
3/4 c. sugar
1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves

Whisk ingredients together in order. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. (You will have some extra that doesn't fit in a 9" pan, so make a mini pie in a 5" dish) Bake at 425F for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350F and bake 45 more minutes. At this point, it shouldn't be jiggly in the middle, but mine was (again, I think because of the no eggs). I put it back in for 15 more minutes and the top was browned and the pie almost completely set. I had to leave for church, though, so I took it out and it firmed up completely as it cooled.

Comments