Emergency Food Rations


Recently, as part of Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC)'s World Hunger Campaign, we had some special events and offerings at our church. Part of the campaign involved sending a bag containing a ration for one person for one day that CRWRC gives out to people who are starving. As you can see in the picture, it is 50g of dry beans, 450g of a whole grain flour, 50g of oil, and 5g of iodized salt.

I wanted to see what that looked like as prepared food (and I hated to see food go to waste when we had just been looking at it as what starving people are eating, so after the events were over, I took everything home and cooked it. I was able to make 4 pita-like breads with the flour, oil, and salt, and cooked the beans to go with them. Between me and Anthony, we ate them for two meals each and I was satisfied, so I can see how it would be enough food for one person for a day.

Comments