Apple Tart


I am very excited that it is apple season because I love homemade applesauce and eating apples every day. I also love apple desserts (and Anthony doesn't so I don't have to share!) Unfortunately, I baked a disappointing apple crisp where the crisp wasn't so crisp and I used apples that did not get soft after baking. So I ate the whole thing, but didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping to.

This apple tart, on the other hand, was great. The recipe was in my latest issue of "Organic Gardening" magazine. I changed the dough a bit by taking out an egg yolk and making half the recipe (which is enough for one tart)
The dough is:
3/4 c. white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Tbs. sugar
6 Tbs. cold butter, cut into small cubes
3-4 Tbs. ice water
Mix the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter. Mix in enough water to make the dough stick together. Refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough into a big circle on a silicone baking sheet if you don't want it to stick. Peel and slice about 4 large apples into thin pieces. Arrange them nicely on the dough, leaving about an inch of dough around the outside, then drizzle 1.5 Tbs. of melted butter over them and sprinkle on 1 Tbs. sugar. Fold the edge of dough over the outer ring of apples and bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes. Mine took a little longer than that, possibly because the silicone sheet made it get less browned? I'm not sure.

Comments