Pepino melon

When we were last in the US, I was enjoying looking through seed catalogs, and I found all sorts of things I really wanted to plant, but of course I couldn't have them all.  One of the things I looked at but didn't buy was seeds for pepino melon.

While we were driving between Nairobi and Nakuru, we stopped at a little roadside stand so I could buy rhubarb (woohoo!) and the guy was selling a bunch of other fruits too.  He had pepino melons, but I couldn't remember that that was what they were called.  However, since I like trying new things, I felt that I should probably get some.


After getting home, I looked it up in the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds website because I knew I had seen it in their catalog and found the description and name.


Well, they were pretty good, but not super exciting.  After I ate the first one, I found out that you can eat the seeds in the middle.  The first one I think wasn't quite ripe enough - it tasted more like a cucumber.  The second one was riper and tasted more like a honeydew melon.

Comments