Caramel Pecan Rolls

Sometimes when I find something interesting or unusual at the store, I'll get it for a special purpose.  In this case, it was brown sugar.  I thought I would splurge and buy real brown sugar (instead of just using the raw sugar cane sugar that is the sugar here) and make caramel rolls.  Unfortunately, I was deceived - the "brown sugar" was just regular sugar (which is pretty coarse) mixed with molasses...  Well, disappointing though that was, I thought I'd go ahead with it anyway and got a little bag of pecans to make the caramel rolls even better.


High-altitude sweet dough:
2 1/2 tsp. yeast
1 Tbs. sugar
1 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk
7 c. flour (3 c. of whole wheat, 4 c. of all-purpose)
2 eggs
1/3 c. softened butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt

Dissolve the yeast and 1 Tbs. sugar in the warm water.  Then, add the warm milk and 3 c. whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth, then let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.  Then, add the eggs, butter, sugar, salt, and enough of the rest of the flour to make a smooth dough.  Knead until it is smooth, then cover and let it rise for about 45 minutes.  Punch it down, let rest for 10 minutes, then use it for rolls, doughnuts, coffee cake, etc.  You can put it in the fridge for up to 5 days.  I used half of it to make these pecan rolls.

For pecan rolls:
1/2 of the above dough recipe
2-3 Tbs. softened butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 c. pecans
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbs. corn syrup (or golden syrup - what I used because I don't have corn syrup)

Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4" thick.  Spread the 2-3 Tbs. softened butter over it.  Then, sprinkle this with 1/2 c. of sugar mixed with 2 Tbs. cinnamon.  Roll the dough up tightly.  In a bowl, mix the 1/3 c. melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and pecans together.  Put them in the bottom of a 9x9" greased pan.  Cut the roll of dough into 9-10 pieces and place them on top of the pecan mixture in the pan.  Let them rise for about an hour.  Then, bake at 375F for 30-45 minutes.  When they are done, put a plate or cookie sheet over the pan and quickly flip the roll pan over so the rolls drop out. 


Despite the fact that I didn't have real brown sugar, they still turned out great!  Later, I did find a bag of actual brown sugar (I could see it through the package, so I'm sure it's finely textured and not like this fake one) and I'll have to save that to try these rolls again some other time, but in a more authentic fashion.

Comments

  1. Those look wonderful! They remind me of the ones my mom used to make!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment