Grandma's Big Pancakes

I like making traditional family foods, even when they are foods I've never eaten before myself.  A few months ago, my uncle shared a recipe for my Grandma Levitt's "big pancakes."  She used to make them for their family for dinner.  I'd never had them, but in solidarity with past generations, I wanted to.  The funny thing is that after I made them, I realized that these are the "pancakes" that are served in a lot of hotels around Uganda, Kenya, and Tanzania!  Imagine that.  This family food of mine is even found in Africa.  But now I can make them myself and I definitely will continue to do so.


1 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
3 eggs

Mix the above together until there are no lumps, then refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.  When you're ready to cook them, whisk in 1 1/2 Tbs. melted butter.  Heat a large, greased pan until hot, then pour in about 1/4 c. of the batter; swirl the pan so it spreads out thinly.  After it has browned on the bottom, flip it and cook the other side briefly.


Comments