Parathas

So, after the aloo matar, I still had some leftover cooked potatoes and carrots.  I mashed those, mixed in some spices, and turned them into paratha filling.  I really enjoy bread in general and it is always nice making stovetop breads like these.


I made both potato parathas (aloo parathas) and parathas with cooked collard greens in them.  First the potato paratha recipe.  For the basic paratha dough, I mixed together:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. yogurt

Then, I added water until it made a soft dough.  I kneaded it for a while and then kneaded in 1 Tbs. olive oil more.  I let the dough sit for about 10 minutes, then divided it in half.  With one half, I made four balls and with the other half, I made the parathas with greens. 

But for the potato parathas, I mixed together the following as filling:
2 potatoes, cooked and mashed (there were some pieces of carrot in there too)
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. salt


Roll out the dough, put some filling in the middle, then fold the edges together into a packet.


Like so.


After this, you roll out the paratha, trying your best to keep the potato from squirting out as you squish it.  It took some practice.  I put about 1/4 tsp. of ghee on top before frying it in a pan. 


With half of the dough, I mixed in some collard greens that had been cooked with tomatoes.  I needed to add a little extra flour because the greens and tomatoes were a bit wet.  Those were easy - just roll them out and put a little ghee on them before frying.



The parathas with potatoes were much better than the ones with greens.  I made the potato ones again but decided I'd rather eat my greens on the side.

Comments