Mango Oven Fruit Pancake

Perhaps you have heard of an oven pancake or a Dutch baby or whatever else people call it.  Regardless, it is a light, egg-y breakfast-type dish that can be plain or include fruits or vegetables.  I have made it before using apples, but since those aren't so easy to come by in Uganda, I decided to substitute unripe mangoes for apples.  The mango tree in our yard is producing abundantly.


Anyway, unripe mangoes are not that different in taste and texture from a tart granny smith apple.  For this mango oven pancake, I peeled and sliced two small, unripe mangoes.

I put my skillet in the oven with 1 Tbs. butter in it and let it melt.

Then, I put in the sliced mango and let it cook for about 5 minutes.

Next, I mixed together the following:
2/3 c. milk
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. wheat flour
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

I poured the batter over the mango in the skillet and put it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.


And this is what came out.  It was really good; I ate the whole thing myself (not that Anthony would have eaten it anyway).  I love this kind of pancake and I enjoy the tart taste of the unripe mango.

Comments