Spinach Soufflé

Spinach soufflé was the food I requested for my birthday every year growing up, yet I have never made it myself...until now.  My dad shared this recipe with me because he was the one who always made it.


Ingredients:
1.5 to 2 c. cooked spinach squeezed dry
6 eggs separated
White sauce: 1Tbs butter, 1Tbs flour, and 1 c. milk

First, make the white sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan, mixing in the flour, and slowly adding the milk so it doesn't get clumpy.  Add the spinach to the white sauce.  When it is cool enough not to cook the eggs, add the egg yolks.  Add salt and pepper for taste.

Beat the eggs whites until stiff, but not dry.  Next, add 1/3 of the egg whites to the spinach mixture, and then gently fold in the last 2/3.  Put it into a buttered soufflé dish and bake at 375F for 40 –45 minutes.  The top will brown slightly.



Take note that it will start to fall as it cools.


I think that maybe part of the reason that I like this dish so much (besides the sentimentality) is that I have always loved the filling of spinach pie, which is basically this with some feta cheese added.  I can live without the filo dough on top and bottom...  Anyway, apparently you can make spinach soufflé with cheese in it too, so perhaps I will try that next time, especially if I make it for myself for my birthday!

Comments