Baked Chocolate Doughnuts

I am still trying out new baked doughnut recipes with the doughnut pan.  The most recent one was based on this recipe


However, I changed it a lot, so here is my version:
1/3 c. regular flour
1/3 c. white whole wheat flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla

Bake at 350F for 10 minutes.

Now, based on my experience of making baked doughnuts, I decided I like the dipped in sugar versions better than the frosted ones.  So I tried dipping these in melted butter and then in sugar. 


Honestly, the whole dipped in butter and then sugar seemed unnecessary.  I thought it was better just dipping them in sugar because the sugar stuck anyway and the butter made a big crust of sugar, which I didn't need.  You can see the difference between the two things in the picture below.


Now, these doughnuts came out more the consistency of a spongy cake than of a "cake doughnut" so I didn't care for them that much.  Generally I'm not a big fan of cake unless it has lots of fruit in it...  However, one of my nieces tried one of these doughnuts and asked for more, so I guess that overall, it was a success!

Comments