Biscuits and Meg's Tomato Bisque

While we were living with Anthony's parents, I had some leftover feta cheese from making pizza, so when I saw a recipe for feta and chive sour cream scones/biscuits, I figured that was a good way to use it up.  (After making them, I also discovered that biscuits are one of my mother-in-law's favorite foods...too bad I didn't know earlier!)  As you can see from the picture, I obviously didn't put in chives.  Nor did I sprinkle any other seasonings on top.  But other than that, I followed the recipe.


And they were really good biscuits!  I love how they puffed up authentically.


The soup recipe comes to you from my sister-in-law, Meg, who frequently delights us with grilled cheese and tomato bisque when we visit.  You can see more of her recipes here.

Tomato Bisque:

8 tomatoes seeded and diced – or – two 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
Olive oil
Pepper
2 yellow onions, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbs tomato paste
4 c. broth (or that "Better than Bouillon" I mentioned before)
1 bay leaf
4 Tbs. butter
¼ c. flour
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp basil
2 c. half and half (or milk)

Preheat oven to 450F.  Strain tomatoes, reserve liquid and spread on a cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Roast until caramelized, about 45 minutes.  Or just broil until a little blackened (about 15 minutes).  It depends on how much time you think you have.

Meanwhile, sautĂ© onion and garlic in butter in a large saucepan.  Add flour and cook without browning.  Add tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, tomato paste, chicken stock and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.  Remove bay leaf.  Puree in batches until smooth, or leave a few chunks if desired.  Return to pan and stir in half and half.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer until heated through (do not boil!), about 3-5 minutes.

Comments