Edemame

I was excited to grow edamame in my garden this year since Anthony and I enjoy it so much and I've never grown it before.  But just like the peanut disaster in Uganda, I was disappointed by a minimal harvest.  Rather than a squirrel, though, this time my problem animal was a rabbit.   This rabbit decided that edamame plants made a good dinner, so every day when I came to the garden during the spring, the plants would be eaten off down to the ground.  The ironic aspect of this is that there is a giant field of soybeans (edameme is soybeans) not 100 yards from my garden.  I guess this rabbit has a very discerning palate and prefers home-grown, organic soybeans.
The good news is that my harvest turned out to be more than the piddly ten or so peanuts I got in Uganda.  It was at least a semi-decent bowl of  edamame.  This is thanks to my zucchini plants growing up and across the garden until they covered about half of the edamame plants, hiding them from view of the rabbit and protecting them.  And so we got to enjoy at least some of our home-grown, organic edamame!

Comments