Thumbprint Cookies

As you may have noticed if you have read a lot of my blog posts, I really like keeping up family traditions that relate to food. One of those traditions is thumbprint cookies. My mom always made them in the spring and so since it is sort of starting to be spring, I wanted to follow tradition and bake them. The funny thing is that my mom did the same thing and mailed me and Anthony just a few cookies right when I was about to make my own.


Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 egg yolks (keep the whites in a separate bowl)
Cream together the above ingredients, then add 2 cups of flour and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Form the dough into balls and then dip them into the egg whites, then roll them in chopped walnuts.
Bake at 375F for 5 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Take the cookies out and make a dent in the middle with your thumb.
Put them back into the oven for 8 more minutes, then cool.
Fill the thumbprint with pastel-colored frosting.

The only reasons these cookies are spring-like are the fact that this is when my mom always made them and because you can make the frosting in the middle be spring-like pastel colors. Now, I don't have food coloring and I don't want to buy any because I would so rarely use it, so I used a little blueberry juice to make pinkish/purplish frosting. The rest I left white because Anthony doesn't like fruit and didn't want to eat frosting that had been dyed with a fruit (even though it just tastes like regular frosting...)
These are my mom's:

Comments