Mango Cinnamon Swirl Bread

I made this fun bread after I saw the recipe on Joy the Baker's site.  She encouraged people to make Triple Berry Cinnamon Swirl Bread "with" her and since I love baking (even though I don't have any berries here in Uganda), I just couldn't stop myself from making it.

So if there are no berries, what else could I use?  Why not almost-ripe mangoes?  Seeing as how I have hundreds of those growing on the tree in my yard...

Maybe they aren't as colorful as berries, but they are still very pretty.  I have discovered that if I pick them before they are quite ripe, they are the texture of apples and a bit more tart than a ripe mango.  In general, I actually prefer eating them that way - maybe because I grew up on apples (and they're less messy), but I've found that at that stage, they are also a very good apple substitute for baking.  And, apparently, an option if berries aren't available.


I had to take a "before" baking picture just in case my oven without a thermometer burned the bread.  Thankfully, there was no burning!  (The mango crisp I made the next day didn't fare quite so well)


Cinnamon and mangoes do go well together, in case you were wondering.  And I didn't even have to share this beautiful bread with Anthony, since he doesn't eat fruit!  It reminded me of the traditional Christmas sweet roll my mom always makes.

Comments