Jackfruit in the US

We went to an Asian food store in Michigan and found some variations of jackfruit!  While living in Uganda, jackfruit was one of my favorite fruits to eat, especially when someone else prepared it (because it is rather a lot of work).  So I was interested to find out what these things would be like.  First, I found jackfruit chips. 


They are the consistency of the "astronaut food" that I remember buying as a kid from some museum, but they actually taste pretty good, kind of like dried apple chips.


And then, there was frozen jackfruit.  It was only okay.  Since it had been frozen and then I thawed it to eat it, the texture was too weird and the taste was not as good as fresh.  Nevertheless, it is pretty amazing that you can get jackfruit of any kind in a place so far away from where it grows.

Comments