Giant Granadilla (Passionfruit)

This cool fruit I got from a pastor Anthony and I visited.  It is called a giant granadilla, and is the biggest passionfruit there is.  I thought it was very impressive that it was the size of my head.


And the flowers are also quite spectacular:


Inside, the very middle was like a normal passionfruit and the outer part tasted like a honeydew melon.



The lining that the seeds were attached to wasn't so edible (kind of rubbery), but it looked like little octopus tentacles!


Comments

  1. Hi Sarah,
    My husband and I plan to move to Malawi, and so I have especially enjoyed reading your blogs. I just recently made my own soap for the first time...do you use a weigh scale...and what ingredients are available there? Also, do you use local seeds for your garden, or bring them from the US?....thanks for any info
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,
      I've never been to Malawi, so I can't tell you what will be there and what will not. But I would guess that, like Uganda, there are people who make soap there too. So, probably you will be able to get lye and different kinds of oil like olive oil, palm oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, etc. I do have a scale, but I also have one recipe for soap that uses American measuring cups - you can find it here: http://www.diynatural.com/how-to-make-soap-2/
      Regarding seeds, I have gotten some here, but I also brought some with me, like for herbs and some open-pollinated vegetables. But for the most part, it is better to grow things that are suited for the climate you are living in. I don't know what you will be doing in Malawi, but since I am working with farmers here, I got some interesting, regionally appropriate seeds from ECHO: http://www.echocommunity.org/en/pages/echo_global_seedbank_info

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info...this is helpful. My husband will be teaching and training pastors, and so I am also interested in other things to possibly do as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment