Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Back when I cooked lunch at the farm with my parents, we made these amazing whole wheat chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  My mom introduced me to the recipe and enjoyed sharing it with the whole farm.

After making these cookies several times myself, I have concluded that one might as well put at least some whole wheat into all cookie recipes because as long as you don't over-bake them, they taste just as good and are at least a little bit healthier (in a very relative sense, of course!).  I usually start with replacing 1/4 or 1/3 of the flour with whole wheat flour and then increase from there up to half whole wheat flour to see if the recipe is still good.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
(My mom found this recipe here.)


3 c. whole wheat flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1½ tsp. kosher salt
2 sticks cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

Mix the butter and sugars until just blended.  Beat in the eggs and mix in the vanilla.  Next, mix the dry ingredients together and blend them with the wet ingredients until the flour is just incorporated.

Make the dough into large balls – about 3 Tbs. per cookie – and place them onto the baking sheets.  At this point, you can put them into the fridge or freezer for about 20 minutes.  Or you can just bake them right away.  They grow, so when you bake, you need about 3 inches between them.

If you chill them first, bake at 350F for 14 minutes.  Since I am not usually patient enough to freeze them first, I just bake them right away for closer to 10 minutes.  Transfer the cookies, still on the parchment, to the counter to cool.


You will be amazed when you eat these lovely, chewy cookies, to discover that they have no white flour in them to speak of!

Comments