Sourdough

I have been playing around with sourdough recipes recently.  I discovered that I could obtain some sourdough starter from a neighbor of the farm and so I thought I should try this thing out.  It was actually pretty fun, but difficult to keep up with having the starter out at room temperature all the time. 

Basically, to keep sourdough starter alive outside the fridge, you need to "feed" it flour and water every twelve hours.  If you aren't using it, you end up, in my opinion, wasting a lot of flour.

To feed sourdough starter, for every 1/4 c. of starter, you add 1/4 c. water and 1/2 c. flour.  Realize that it will "rise" about double while it sits on the counter, so don't use too small of a container!  To maintain a reasonable amount of starter, before each feeding, you discard however much you aren't going to feed. 

Anyway, I enjoyed making sourdough pancakes, bread, and rolls.  The rolls turned out pretty cute.  There was a little bit of sourdough flavor, but not much. 


I found the recipe for these rolls at the King Arthur Flour website.  I replaced 1 c. of the flour with white whole wheat flour and they still turned out just fine.


At the same website, I found a recipe for truly sour sourdough bread.  I really liked this one because it actually had the flavor that I identify as sourdough.  Again, I replaced 1 c. of flour with whole wheat flour because I like to do that.


It takes some planning to make this bread because you need to let it rise for four hours on the counter and then overnight in the fridge.  But if you like sourdough, it is well worth it.

Comments