Corn Chips


Here in Uganda, we have been unable to find chips in the supermarkets. There are occasionally some kinds of potato chips, but never tortilla chips. This is unfortunate since we have an overabundance of avocados growing in our garden (3 trees). So I thought I would try making my own tortilla chips. I made corn tortillas using posho flour and then after they were cooked, I fried them.
Mix together:
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons shortening
½ cup water
Form the dough into 12 balls and let it stand for 15 minutes. Then roll it out on a floured counter and cook it on a skillet, flipping when bubbles form.

They did become crispy, but they tasted like fried tortilla, not really chips. We decided that we would just prefer eating guacamole with tortillas than this kind of chip. Perhaps they would be better baked, rather than fried.

Comments