Samosas/Sambuza

First, here is a meal of samosas (some people call them “sambuza” here – they’re different from Indian samosas) from the market, sausages, and green beans.

I was inspired to try making these sambuza myself so we can still have them when we’re in the US. And here they are!

The first attempt didn’t turn out quite as well as the second, in my opinion, mainly because I didn’t let the filling cool before putting it in the wrappers. As a result, I had to make the wrapper relatively thick so the filling didn’t rip it open. But on the second attempt, with cool filling, it worked very well.
I cooked dry whole green peas with beef broth and some onions until they were cooked, but still relatively firm and the liquid was almost gone. Then, I made the following dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbs. oil
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
Mix well, and let it rest at least a half hour
Then, you need lots of flour to roll it out to about 1/8” thickness. Cut it into triangles, put a spoonful of filling in the middle, and fold the corners of the triangles in around the filling to make a triangle-shaped sambuza. Then fry it in oil until crispy. When I was able to roll it out thin, this much dough made about 25 sambuza.

Comments