Maize, Cassava, and Beans

If no one grows food, we won’t be able to eat. Since this blog is all about cooking, I want to point out where that food we’re eating comes from.
Working in the garden is fun for me and it is even more fun to eat the food that I have grown. Lately, we’ve been eating collard greens and onions that I planted last rainy season, but which are still growing. And now we have green beans, carrots, bean beans, and lots of cassava. Here are those beans that are ready to shell and cook:

I still haven’t gotten used to the fact that I am harvesting things that I planted before those same crops are anywhere near to harvest. Not to mention that some of them don’t even grow in Michigan!

So, just three days ago, my maize started flowering and today there are some little ears forming. We are very excited to be eating maize in another month or so. There are so many great ways to eat maize…


But while we wait, we’re eating cassava. Along with enjoying roasted maize, we also enjoy roasted cassava (it tastes pretty close to baked potatoes). So we constructed a fire pit just for cooking (no trash-burning in there) and attempted to roast cassava like so:

Unfortunately, it was taking FOREVER to cook, so we eventually just wrapped the pieces in aluminum foil and buried it in the hot coals. It turned out fine that way too!

Comments