Mango Crisp

After hearing reports of fresh rhubarb and strawberries from the US and the tasty fruit crisps my sister was making, I was inspired to make my own. But what fruit to use since there are no berries, no rhubarb, not even South African apples at this time? And then I thought of the hundreds of mangos on the trees in our yard and I thought, unripe mangos are crispy and tangy, kind of like green apples, maybe they would work in crisp. And they did! I used six unripe mangos and one almost ripe one to give it mango flavor. But interestingly, as it turned out, it tasted more like a peach/apple crisp.

Recipe:
¾ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ cups oats
1 tsp cinnamon
Cut in about 6-8 Tbs. butter
Pat half of this mixture into the bottom of a pan (I used a round pot, but I either an 8x8” or 9x9” pan should be comparable in size). Next, peel and cube seven medium-sized mangos and put it in the pan, then sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture on top.

I steamed this for about 45 minutes on the stove top so it wasn’t really “crisp” when it was done, but if you made it in an oven, I’m sure it would be.

Comments

  1. How I wish I had a mango tree in my backyard! Mango crips sounds good to me:) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...make that crisp...not crips...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a genius Sara!!

    -johanna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment