Managu Cooking Lesson


While visiting Kenya, we stayed with friends in Mogotio.  Dinah gave me a cooking lesson for how to cook managu, otherwise known as edible nightshade.  I know it sounds bad, but it's just a plant in the nightshade family (with tomatoes, eggplant, and potatoes) whose leaves are edible.


First, you need to wash the leaves really well to get all the dirt and grit out.  Then, cover them with water and simmer for about 30 minutes.  In the meantime, fry up some onions and tomatoes in a separate pan.  Once those are soft and the managu is ready, pour the water off of the managu.  You can leave the water, but it makes the greens more bitter.  Dinah squeezed it all out.  Mix everything together and serve.


Oh, also, chicken feet anyone?  Actually, they were for the cats - roasted so they don't get a taste for raw chicken and start eating the flock.


There are the tomatoes and onions and the managu ready to be added.  Anthony and I really enjoy these greens.  I've got some managu in my Soroti garden and I'm hoping it does well so we can eat it here in Uganda too.

Comments