Semolina Date Cookies

Although these cookies were kind of a pain to make, they were actually quite delicious. I found the recipe here, but I adjusted it to fit what I had and how much semolina flour I had left.

Here is what I did:
2 c. semolina flour
2/3 c. melted butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the above ingredients together well, then slowly add up to 2/3 c. of water to make a dough that holds together.

Separately, with your hands, knead the following together to make a soft paste:
4oz pitted dates (according to the recipe, this is about how much you need - mine didn't have a weight on the package, so I just kept adding more until it looked like enough to cover half the semolina dough)
a pinch of cinnamon
a few drops of water

Flatten out half of the dough into a square/rectangle.  Make a square/rectangle with the date paste of the same size.  Put the date paste on the dough, then make another dough square to put on top (see pictures below).  Cut the dough into squares and cook it on a skillet, flipping over once or twice until each side is nicely browned.







I'm thinking that if I made them again, I might try baking them in the oven instead of on the stove top because it was really hard to flip them to cook both sides.  The picture above is of the ones that looked the most beautiful - some of them were kind of funny looking due to the difficulty of flipping them nicely!

Comments