Popped Amaranth

When we lived in Uganda, I grew a bunch of amaranth and saved the seeds, then tried to pop them.  It was pretty much a total failure.  I just ended up with a bunch of burnt seeds.  However, this past year I grew a different variety and was highly successful with popping them.  It was very exciting.

In this case, I used a large pot on high heat, then added about 1-2 Tbs. of amaranth at a time, quickly stirred it as they popped, then immediately poured the popped amaranth out into a bowl.  After that, I continued tablespoon by tablespoon.


So nice!  It looks as good as the popped amaranth I can get at the store - plus it's cheaper because I grew it myself :)


There are lots of good things you can do with popped amaranth.  I like to include it in my granola and I also like making alegrias - popped amaranth mixed with honey and peanut butter.

Comments