Cheesy Onion Rye Bread


I forgot to take a picture of this before I cut it in half (I couldn't wait to taste it).  Now, being cut up like this, it may not look particularly appetizing in the pictures, but I assure you it was really good!


I found rye flour at a health food store in Nakuru, so I had the opportunity to try out my own "what do I have available here" variation on this recipe, which I found through, what else? the British Bake Off.  Now, I didn't have "bread flour with malted grains" so I made do with what I could find.  I substituted a mix of AP and whole wheat flour.  Nor did I have beer, so I used beef broth as a substitute.  I was a little worried about using broth as a beer substitute (I searched online to find out what my options were and for a few minutes I actually considered using Pepsi, but I just couldn't bring myself to try it), but I was happy to find that with broth it turned out just fine!


The bread was great alone, but we made it into a meal and ate it for several days by making hummus and chard open-faced sandwiches.

Comments

Post a Comment