Oatcakes


Sometimes I decide to make things for the strangest reasons.  I got a book for Christmas from my sister and brother-in-law called "How to be a Victorian."  It's very interesting - talking about daily life for people in the UK during Victorian times.  At different points the author discusses what people were eating in different areas of the country, in different classes, and at different times during that period.  One of the things she mentioned was oatcakes and since I really like oats, I decided to find a recipe and try it out for myself.

These are pretty simple and relatively bland, but they are not very unlike biscuits that you can get in the stores here in Kenya and are good with jam or cheese.  I'm glad I tried them!

1 1/2 c. quick oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. melted butter
1/4 c. hot water

Mix together the dry ingredients, then stir in the melted butter and hot water until the dough is moistened.  Sprinkle some more oats on a table to keep the dough from sticking, then roll out the dough on it to about 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut into circles and bake on a greased cookie sheet for 25 minutes at 325F


Comments