"Chex" Mix

Sometimes, when we want to make something here in Africa that is traditionally special to our family history, we have to make substitutions based on what is available. One such traditional Christmas-y snack for my family has been my dad's Chex mix. I found Worcestershire sauce in the store, so I figured I'd try to come up with the other ingredients, if possible.

Well, I didn't find Chex cereal, which is the basis for this mix, but we went ahead anyway and just got corn flakes and wheat flakes.


Recipe:
2 (12 oz each) boxes of Crispix or Chex (or, in my case, wheat flakes and corn flakes)
A mixture of nuts (preferably a couple cups of them, but I just used what I had, which wasn't much)
Mix them together and divide them between two 9x13" pans.

Separately, mix together in a small saucepan:
4 Tbs. butter
4 Tbs. olive oil
7 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. garlic salt
2 Tbs. lemon juice
Heat those things over low heat until the butter melts.

Then, drizzle about 1/3 of the mixture over the Chex + nuts. Bake at 300F for 15 minutes. Take pans out, stir, and drizzle on another 1/3 of the mixture. Bake another 15 minutes. After that, stir and drizzle on the rest of the sauce. Finally, put them back in the oven and bake for another 30-45 minutes, mixing every 15 minutes.

It wasn't quite the same as Chex mix (not as easy to eat since the flake cereals are in smaller pieces!), but it tasted right and was pretty fun.

Comments