Sweet Potato Kale Upside-Down Tart

I wish I could have been able to take pictures of this dish when it was light out because it doesn't look quite as pretty under artificial light, but at least you can get an idea from these pictures. 


Okay, that first one really isn't so pretty, but it's the top that gets flipped over onto a plate once it's baked, so you can get an idea of how it is cooked.  Below is a better one:


Anyway, I found the recipe here.  Overall, I followed the recipe, but I used collard greens instead of kale (because that's what I have here) and I used grated Gouda cheese (again, because I don't have pecorino cheese available here and I don't even know what kind that is). 


Almost too beautiful to eat (but not quite...)


Anyway, I would also comment that in case you're not aware, sweet potatoes are not the same thing as yams, even though lots of people in the US interchange the words.  This recipe is talking about sweet potatoes.  Yams are not even related, though they sometimes look somewhat similar.  But they can also get gigantic.  Below is a picture of me holding a small yam in Uganda:

Comments

  1. This looks good, and fairly easy! Now that we know yams and sweet potatoes are different, what potatoes are you suggesting we could use? I am thinking I would substitute Parmesan for the Pecorino cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough. The author of this recipe used sweet potatoes and I used sweet potatoes. I was just pointing out that when you hear someone talk about "yams" (unless they are talking about a West African recipe), they are most likely talking about sweet potatoes.

      Delete

Post a Comment