Amaranth Kolache


I've had a Tupperware full of grain amaranth seeds sitting around in my kitchen for a long time (like a year).  I harvested it from my garden, but then couldn't figure out what to do with them.  I have no way to grind the seeds into flour (I tried by hand with a mortar and pestle, but it failed miserably) and for some reason I couldn't get them to pop, so I just let them sit while I thought about what to do with them.

One day, I was looking at them and I thought to myself that they looked a lot like poppy seeds.  So, I started thinking about amaranth every time I saw a recipe with poppy seeds in it.  Finally, I found a recipe for poppy seed kolaches.

I followed the recipe exactly for the sweet bread, but I changed the filling ingredients a bit:

1 cup amaranth seeds
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 tsp. cinnamon


They turned out very pretty!  And very good with tea.



Comments