Jackfruit Seeds

Jackfruit is this very interesting fruit that is pretty common in Uganda.  It is quite unusual.  The average fruit probably weighs something like 10 pounds and grows off of the trunk of the jackfruit tree, rather than at the ends of branches.  I don't even know how to describe the taste of the fruit.  It is kind of the consistency of raw, sweet pepper and maybe tastes slightly like a cross between a grape and a mango?  Anyway, it also has some pretty large seeds, which are edible.  Since you have to remove the seeds when you eat the jackfruit, why not eat them?

All you need to do is boil them for about 10 minutes.  At that point, they look like this:


I tried eating one like that, but the whitish coating was a little too tough to want to swallow.  So I peeled them.  And then they looked like almonds.  But I think they tasted very similar to chestnuts.


It was a fun experiment and I definitely won't let the seeds go to waste the next time I get jackfruit.


Comments

  1. That is very interesting! I like your new profile picture:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment