Yogurt in Uganda

 So I sort of accidentally ended up with two liters of fresh milk on the same day that I had just finished making paneer.  I didn't really want to make even more paneer, so I decided I would give yogurt making a try here.  I've never tried because: 1. We have a tiny fridge, so I can't make tons of yogurt and keep it cool for weeks on end (it would fill up the fridge and the power might go off and spoil it and 2. I thought I needed glass canning jars to do this.

However, I figured out that it is acceptable to use plastic containers if you do not have glass.  So I gathered this assortment of random plastic containers that I had available (one glass jam jar, an old yogurt container, a Parmesan cheese container, and a butter container).


The other interesting aspect of this experiment was that I did not have plain yogurt to use as a starter.  I had been looking in supermarkets all over town for plain yogurt because I like that best, but all I could find was flavored stuff.  I got vanilla yogurt before deciding that I would be making my own, but at least it was there to use as starter.


I was nervous about the yogurt working as starter, so instead of adding 2 Tbs. for the two liters of milk, I added 3, to be safe!

We also have no laundry basket or lots of sheets and blankets to wrap the jars with as they set for 12 hours, so I just used a basin and whatever I could find - fabric I haven't sewed with, one extra sheet, our guest towel, the clean dish rags that aren't being used, and our one quilt.


To my joy and amazement the next morning, I had yogurt!


It was not as thick as the goat milk yogurt I made on the farm, but part of that could have been because I didn't have any rennet to add to the recipe.  But it was still good.  I ate some with a little honey, shredded coconut, and some precious dried cherries from my mom.

Comments

  1. hi thanx alot for that post. However, I would like u to walk me through the simple steps of making that yourghurt right from scratch. - Cyrus

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find more specific steps here: http://sarasglobalcooking.blogspot.ug/2013/04/making-yogurt-and-cheese.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment