Sour Cream/Greek Yogurt Cake Doughnuts


If I ever get doughnuts in the US, I always choose cake doughnuts.  I don't like those fluffy, light ones at all (Anthony often does).  When I found a recipe for sour cream doughnuts that looked a lot like glazed cake doughnuts, I really wanted to try it.  Making fried desserts in Uganda is super easy because it doesn't require an oven and most people don't have ovens.  Even though I do now have an oven, the stove top cooking is overall easier, so sometimes I prefer that.  Not to mention the fact that when it is 100 degrees outside, it is nice not to heat up the house even more by turning on the oven...


Here is the website with the recipe I used.  Since there is no sour cream here in Soroti, I used "Greek yogurt" which was from the plain yogurt I made.  I put about two cups of it in a handkerchief (placed in a strainer, over a bowl) in the fridge overnight so that it got really thick and then substituted that for the sour cream in the recipe.  I was not disappointed by this recipe and will definitely make it again sometime.  Even Anthony was pleasantly surprised by how good they were.

 
Some of the first doughnuts I did got a little bit overdone because I hadn't quite figured out the proper temperature for the oil.  Nevertheless, they still tasted good and everyone was satisfied!


Comments