Ginger Syrup

Although I have always had an aversion to fresh ginger, it tempts me every time I am at the market.  When I worked for Mixed Greens in Grand Rapids, we had a time when we had kids learn about ginger and the food they got to taste in that lesson was candied ginger.  Since we always made them taste every food, I had to taste it too, as a good example.  It was hard to have to "taste" it in every place where I did the lesson.  (*side note: I do like things with ginger in them, like Indian food, gingerbread, and molasses cookies, just not ginger relatively plain)


Anyway, for some weird reason, I decided that I wanted to make this ginger syrup and then drink it with a lemon-flavored soda (when I don't really like sodas either).  At least it was fun to make.  Also, I planted ginger in my garden.  Because I can.

I started with 3 pieces of fresh ginger, chopped them up, and simmered them in:
4 c. water
1 1/2 c. sugar


After an hour of simmering, I strained the ginger pieces out, let the liquid cool, and stored it in bottles in the fridge.  Then, when it was cold, I made a drink with some fresh lemon juice, 2/3 citrus soda, and 1/3 ginger syrup.


It was a very strong ginger flavor.  But I didn't want to let something I made go to waste, so I drank it anyway.  I just won't be making it for myself again!

Comments