Alegrias

A couple months ago, I had the opportunity to go along on an evaluation of a grain amaranth program that World Renew started in the area of Lira, Uganda.  While there, I heard some great testimonies of how grain amaranth has improved the health and nutrition of those growing and eating it.


The communities also sent us home with some samples of the amaranth they had grown.  There was some popped amaranth and some flour made from ground amaranth.  I enjoyed mixing the amaranth flour into baked goods, like tortillas.  I have to say, it was much better like this than the processed amaranth snacks I tried one time (those almost turned me off to amaranth forever).  It turns out that you can make all kinds of tasty things from grain amaranth!

With the popped amaranth, I made alegrias.  This was a snack my family tried for the first time in Mexico on a mission trip many years ago.  This homemade version was so good I wished I had more popped amaranth (so did Anthony).  Maybe I will try to pop the amaranth that I grew myself.


What you need:
1 c. popped amaranth
1/3 c. honey
2 Tbs. peanut butter
a pinch of salt

Heat the honey on the stove over low heat until it starts to get thin, like syrup.  Then, mix in the peanut butter and amaranth.  Press the mixture into a bowl or tupperware and let it cool.  It will firm up as it cools and then you can cut it and eat it!

Comments