Millet Egg(corn)bread

Yeah, this was supposed to be cornbread, but it turned out more like...souffle maybe?  Or French toast?  As I made it, I thought that the number of eggs in the recipe seemed like a lot, but figured it was because there is no wheat flour in the recipe.  But no.  I think that I will have to try again with less eggs sometime.  Nevertheless, although it was not as expected, it was good.


Anyway, this is a cornbread recipe that does not include any wheat flour.  I have been attempting to bake things that use easily accessible ingredients for people who live in villages and who might have a difficult time coming by wheat flour.  So this is how I made this bread:

1 c. cornmeal (posho flour)
1/2 c. millet flour
2 c. milk
6 eggs
1/4 c. water
2 Tbs. oil
1 tsp. salt

Cook the cornmeal in the milk over low heat until it thickens.  Let it cool a bit and then stir in everything else.  Pour into a greased 9x13" pan (mine is smaller than that, but if you use a bigger size, maybe it won't grow over the sides of the pan as it bakes...)

Bake for about 40 minutes at some temperature that is reasonable for baking cornbread, like maybe 400F (remember that I don't have a thermometer on my oven!)


You will end up with this cool egg-y bread, which is well suited for breakfast.  I am sure it would also be great if you treated it like French toast and put some cinnamon and maple syrup on it!

Comments

  1. It looks kind of like what we called a monster pancake growing up. I've also heard of them being called Dutch babies. An eggy bread that rises at the edges in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment