Peach and Pear Tart


At the farm, there was a point when we had a bunch of soft pears sitting around.  I was searching for fun recipes of things that a friend and I could make with these ripe pears and I found this fancy one from Smitten Kitchen.  It is a pear tart, but I ended up using half peaches and half pears because someone else ate some of the pears before we got to them...  Thankfully, we had some ripe peaches too - both yellow and white.  They seemed to fit really well with the pears and almond filling and made it look even more beautiful. 

Now, it is true that this recipe does have lots of time consuming steps.  I did not read the directions clearly enough ahead of time so I didn't set aside enough time to finish it when I wanted it done...  Nevertheless, we did finish it on the DAY we wanted it, just not as early as expected.


In making this recipe, it was the first time I've ever poached a piece of fruit, which was really interesting.  We tasted some of the scraps of fruit that fell off in the liquid while being poached and they seemed pretty similar to the fruit that is baked in a crisp or cobbler.


The tart shell was amazing; I would be happy to just make it as cookie dough and eat it unbaked. 


And overall, although the tart was a lot of work, it was definitely worth making as a special treat.

Comments