20,000 Leagues Under the Peach Pie


For the going away party of someone on the farm, the theme was books, so everyone brought food that related in some way to a book.  I was looking for an idea of what to make and found this awesome picture of a krakenberry pie.  But how could I make it with the ingredients I had (since I had no berries or cherries or whatever it is in there)?  I eventually discovered some frozen peaches in the farm freezer, so that is what brought about this project.  It took a while to come up with the right name for the pie, but I think "20,000 Leagues Under the Peach Pie" fit the theme pretty well.


It's a pretty basic peach pie from Smitten Kitchen.  For the top crust, though, instead of making a lattice, I cut slices with pointy ends for the legs and spread them out over the top of the filling.  Then, I cut out the head shape, cupped it in my hand and put more peaches into the cup I made.  I carefully flipped it over and stuck it over the place where the legs joined.  For each eye, I cut two crescent shapes of crust and wrapped them around a slice of peach.  In the end, it was pretty spectacular and tasted good too!


Comments