Corn Tortillas

Tortillas really are not very difficult to make, especially if you have a tortilla press.  Even if you don't, though, the recipe is quite simple and all you need is a little time to roll them out.  And it is worth taking that time; homemade tortillas are so much better than store-bought ones.


My dad made excellent flour tortillas quite often when I was growing up and I still make them using his recipe.  Corn tortillas are good too, though, so that is what I made this week.  They turned out great; the smell and the taste brought me back to the times my family spent in Mexico on mission trips when I was in high school.

It's very simple:

1 1/2 c. masa harina
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. + 2 Tbs. water

Mix together the masa harina, flour, and water until it is combined.  It should hold together but not be sticky.  Add a little more water or masa harina to make it the correct consistency.  Let the dough sit for a few minutes, then form it into ping-pong sized balls (this makes cute little tortillas).  If you have a tortilla press, put wax paper on either side and squish the dough ball in it, then gently peel it off and put it on a hot pan.  Otherwise, roll it out (again probably on wax paper) into about a 3" circle.  Cook them on the pan for around 30 seconds, or until it starts to get a bit puffy and browned on the bottom.  Then flip it over and cook the other side the same.  Keep the tortillas wrapped in a towel until you're ready to serve so they stay soft.


If you live in a place where it is currently hot and humid, either eat them all right away or put any leftovers in your freezer.  I was highly disappointed when I went to eat my leftovers two days after making them and they were already moldy.

I also want to point out that it is the beginning of June and we are eating sweet corn, tomatoes, and basil grown on the farm.  The is the strangest thing; I feel like it must be the end of summer, but no, summer has not even begun...welcome to Texas I suppose.

Comments